Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A New year

This year is going to be great. I just know it. I have got so many plans, if I only implement 1/2 of them I will be happy.

The creativity is off to a great start with the completion of 2 projects already!
I did not knit anything for my daughter when she was a baby, and regret that. My head space was just not there (there was a lot going on with my business at the time) and whilst I did sew a couple of things, they were nothing I would like to keep. My Aunts all gave me crocheted blankets, one gave me a blanket that had belonged to her son (very precious indeed) and I treasure them all. One of the husband's Aunts knitted a couple of delightful cardigans too (now carefully cleaned and stored).
There are of course considerations to be made when knitting for babies. Most importantly it must be easy care. No precious "hand wash only I will felt if you look at me sideways" kinds of things allowed. What new mother has the time or energy to handwash? Baby garments also must be easy to put on. It is most unpleasant if you have to wrestle with the wee one whilst trying to clothe him/her. And then there is the heat factor. These days there is a lot of talk about overheating babies, perhaps it stems from the fact that many of us come from european migrant families, where keeping babies warm is really important. This country is however very different to that where I was born, and keeping cool is far more of an issue.
With this in mind I chose some 100% Bamboo yarn in a lovely pale blue for my new (Great) Nephew. A few careful questions let me know that my niece had more clothes for this baby than he will ever wear for at least the next 10 months, so my hopes of making something tiny for a newborn were dashed. Thinking cap on, needed to think 1 year old/summer/trendy young mum.
With this in mind I went for one of my favorite styles when my daughter was a baby: the kimono style wrap thingies. They seemed to be able to be worn for a lot longer than other things, very easy to put on, still allowed plenty of movement and therefore comfort. So I took measurements from one of hers and set about making a top down raglan kimono. I am really pleased with the result, and it was completed the day before he was born.

I have long wanted to make a sock monkey. I think they are adorable, and so does my daughter it seems. This little monkey only took 5 nights. I based him on this baby monkey Patons pattern, with a few minor changes I will have to make another one now for her, she is insisting hers be pink.
Little Miss A has been insisting on "test hugging" him to make sure he is just right for the new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment