Friday, March 27, 2015

Reinvention and moving on.....

Last time I blogged here, I was knitting and spinning up a storm. Then stuff happened, life got in the way, I went to uni and became an OT, I got diagnosed with a couple of autoimmune diseases, just your usual stuff.

Sadly, thanks to the auto immune stuff going on, I can't knit for very long any more, but I discovered I can paint. Just over a year ago I began to feverishly draw pictures. Mostly as a way of maintaining my sanity though the last and final year of study. Looking back, I realised that in times of stress I have always been drawn to create. I drew greeting cards for all my friends when I should have been studying for my year 12 exams; I started designing clothes when I hated my job in a bank; I took up photography when I was going out of my head, alone at home after quitting the bank. Then, I took up knitting as a way to relieve the loneliness and isolation I experienced when I was no longer a person and became a mother.
I have always loved coloured pencils as a media. I liked the control and portability of them, not to mention the affordability. I dug out my old set of trusty Faber-Castells and set about falling in love all over again. I bought my set over 25 years ago for what was then a small fortune and have kept them safely in their tin. I recently gave them to my daughter after purchasing a set of Prismacolors, but I digress. I soon progressed to watercolours, acrylic paint, ink and anything else I can get my hands on to make images with (I have still to try oils...there is still time...).

You can learn anything on the internet, well maybe not quite anything...anyway, if you want to learn how to do something let YouTube teach you! I learn to knit socks from YouTube videos, goodness knows I used it all the time to learn all the muscles and joint names for the Functional Anatomy exam. Learning to draw and paint is well represented in the YouTubiverse, but finding the good ones can be a bit tedious. Suffice to say I discovered a few favorited and watched everything they had to offer for free. This of course led to my paying for some classes. To date I have not regretted any of the online classes I have taken, and when push comes to shove, online classes are good value! I should know, I have just finished a Bachelor of Science and I have the debt to prove it!
From here on in I intend to share with you more about my journey as an artist, what I have liked and what I haven't, and how I did some things too.
Stay tuned, next time I will share some of the classes I have taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment